PDF Converter Plugin 4.0
This plugin converts most of usual files format (doc, xls, ppt, odt, xlsx, pptx, docx, ...) to PDF.
The plugin is based on :
- OpenOffice 3.0 (or greater), launched as a service;
- JODConverter 2.2.2 API.
The installation has the following steps. It is supposed the File Indexation Plugin 3.2 is installed.
- PDFConverterPlugin : Follow the PluginManager installation process. Then restart the site.
- OpenOffice installation and startup.
- JODConverter web service installation and startup.
- PDFConverter configuration.
OpenOffice installation and startup
- Download OpenOffice 3.0 (or greater), and install it as explained in OpenOffice documentation.
- Add the
programsub directory of OpenOffice home directory to the path.
- Launch OpenOffice to listen on port 8100 :
soffice -headless -nofirststartwizard -accept="socket,port=8100;urp;"
NB : In the current version of the plugin, it's up to the system administrator to schedule Open Office launch at startup and to monitor it.
JODConverter web service installation, configuration and startup
The plugin is requesting a webservice, provided by a webapp named JODConverter (stands for Java OpenDocument Converter). This webapp has to be deployed on the same machine as OpenOffice, but the PDFConverter plugin calls the webservice remotely, then it's possible to install OpenOffice and JODConverter on another machine than the one of the JCMS application (but it is not mandatory).
The web service is provided by a J2EE webapp. You may either use the webapp embedded in a Tomcat unzipping
jodconverter-tomcat-2.2.2.zip (make sure a convenient JDK is installed and JAVA_HOME is configured), or deploy the webapp
jodconverter-webapp-2.2.2.zip in your favorite J2EE app server (even in the same app server as JCMS, but with a different context-path).
To restrict the acces to the web service, use a firewall. The web service does not provide restriction for a IP range. If needed, it's possible to create a SSL connection between the PDFConverterPlugin and the JODConverter web service.
There is a maximum size for incoming file in JODConverter web service. This may be modified. The default value is 4MB. The value to modify is in the XML file
<jodconverter_webapp_base_dir>/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml. Edit the value in
\\beans\bean[@id=fileUpload]\property[@name=sizeMax]\value and set this to the maximum number of Bytes for the incomming files (8388608 for 8MB), and restart the webapp.
Installation of JODConverter embedded in tomcat
- Install a JDK 1.5
- Start the web service with
In the PDFConverter properties interface :
Admin space > Operation > Plugin Manager > PDF Converter Plugin >
Administration > Properties,
set the value of the property OpenOffice conversion Web Service to
It's possible to test the conversion service by calling the following url in a browser :
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 4.0
- Compatibility with JCMS 7
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 3.0.1
Bug fix :
- [PDFCONV-14] Conversion always fail if its duration exceed 180 seconds
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 3.0
- Compatibility JCMS 6.1 and FPP 3.2
- OpenXML files conversion
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 2.1
- [code]Generics are used
- [PDFCONV-9] - Add a quick access to the PDF version of a FileDocument
- [PDFCONV-10] - Add a simple way to regenerate PDF - add a metadata about the date of the PDF
- Add Live update of properties
- Add a log to tell when the PDF converter is available while it was not previously
- Bug : File DONOTERASE.txt was referenced as DONOTERASE.TXT in plugin.xml, then the file was unreachable under Unix OS
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 2.0
- Compatibility with JCMS 6.0 and FPP 3.0
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 1.1
- Test avalability of OpenOffice with an simple text file. (used by FileProcessor 2.2 or more)
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 1.0.2
- Operation is considered as good if PDF already exists
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 1.0.1
- [PDFCONV-6] - Some IllegalThreadStateException thrown
- [PDFCONV-7] - Sometimes, exception arise because of HttpClient SoSocket Timeout
PDF Converter Plugin - Version 1.0
- [PDFCONV-1] - [functionnality]Create a processor that make conversion in PDF through OpenOffice
- [PDFCONV-3] - Create a parser for all files processed by the PDFConverter based on the associated PDF
- [PDFCONV-4] - Converter only on main leader if file replication is deactivated