Portlet Cloud Plugin 2.3
The Portlet Cloud presents a set of categories in the form of a cloud in which the size of each category is proportional to its interest, in other words a "visually weighted list". This portlet is inspired by the tag clouds we find in popular tagging systems such as flickr, technocati and del.icio.us. It gives visitors a rapid impression of what they can find on a site.
The interest of a category can be calculated according to three criteria:
- the number of consultable content items in the category,
- the number of consulted content items in the category (known from the number of "Reader Notes"),
- a custom criterion.
The categories can be listed in alphabetic order or by size.
Example of alphabetic sort :
Example of sort by size :
The many options found on this portlet include:
- Categories: the category branches to be presented
- Unit count: criterion for calculating the interest of categories
- Category links: type of link (browsing or searching) to be placed on each category
- Sorting: presentation in alphabetic order or size order (or both)
- Distribution scale: logarithmic or linear
- Levels: number of distribution levels
- Maximum number of categories to display: used to limit the number of categories displayed to the first "n" (a zero value means no limit)
- Threshold: categories smaller than the threshold are not shown
- Refinements: the cloud can be constituted dynamically from descendants of the current category.
The Cloud Portlet is based on the
<cloud:cloud> tag that provides all the portlet options and also enables use of a specific algorithm to calculate the interest of each category (by implementing the